Critical For Getting The Job You Want. See these examples.
How Critical are Positive Job References?
Good references can get you the job you want. Companies are very selective about hiring today, and one of the biggest factors they consider are your job references. Many believe past performance is the best predictor of future performance, so having positive job references are critical during the job search. Your references will be checked and positive references or good job references can give your resume that added boost. Honor these rules of etiquette for good job references and they should continue singing your praises for a long time. It could also help you find the people who are most likely to give you a helpful reference.
Rules of Etiquette – Good References:
- Call your former bosses and ask them if they are willing to give you a good reference. Give your previous boss a career update and thank your former boss for their time. If you ask them to give a positive response, they’re more likely to since they know you’re expecting one.
- Keep your former positive references informed of your experiences in climbing the corporate ladder, your educational progress, and your skill progression. They will be more inclined to see you in a stronger light as you progress, as you are probably a more qualified candidate now than you were when you worked for them.
- Remember that spending time speaking with a prospective employer is taking valuable time of your former boss’ day. If you plan to use the same positive references over the years, you need to give something back, for instance:
- After receiving good job references, write a personal thank you letter or send a thank you email.
- After receiving good job references, offer to take your former boss to lunch / dinner. This can continue a relationship that will help you along the way.
- After receiving positive references or good job references, send a thoughtful gift. For example, everyone loves to receive flowers at the office.
If you win the new position, call or email your former boss, thank them again for the good job references and let them know your new contact information. Maintaining contact is key as long as you plan to continue using them as reference.
Check Your References
We'll have our professionals start calling your references within 48 hours.
How to Get Good Job References
- Keep in touch with your past employers
- Maintain a list of references so you don’t leave anyone out
- Thank people after they give you a good reference
- Find out if someone gives a positive job reference by using a job reference checker.
Even companies who have strong policies regarding references have many employees who break the rules.
Many companies have rules limiting what can be said regarding previous employees, limiting the conversation to confirmation of employment dates, position title, and other basic information. This is designed to administer a neutral response that sticks to objective facts, but rules often don’t stop employers from telling more information.
We have heard over and over again:
“We miss him / her very much.”
You never want your former employer to say:
“Check his / her references very carefully.”
Find out what your former job references are saying about you. Are they good job references?
A good job reference will greatly increase your chances of getting a job. If you know which references are giving the best reviews, you’ll know who to continue using for future interviews (and who you should be thanking for helping you land the job).
Contact us today for more information about our reference checking services. Join our family of satisfied customers today!
Please call us at (800) 651-8202 or (800) 890-5645.